Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ethics vs. Morality

Ethics and morality are often viewed as being one and the same. Our first task is to differntiate the difference between the two.
Ethics comes from the greek word ta ethika which means having to do with good character.
Morality comes from the Latin word moralitas which means having to do with customs and habits.
Ethics is the driving force behind morality. Ethics sets the guidelines while morality fuels the our actions towards the good. For example, when we drive a car we must follow certain laws. These laws (Ethics) guide our driving habits. (Morality) We adjust our dring habits based on the road conditions (Experiences). If it rains or snows we adjust our speed so that we safely arrive at our destination.
To summarize; Ethics explores the nature of the good while morality can be viewed as our "good" actions. The course will start by exploring the search for the inifinite good and how we translate this search into actions.


Ask yourself constantly, "What is the right thing to do?"
Confucius

The more man meditates upon good thoughts, the better will be his world and the world at large.
Confucius

3 comments:

brittaney said...

I always find myself, asking what the right thing to do is. My parents have provided me with the ethics I follow, but all of my life experiences have come with morality. When a problem arives I dont always think of the right thing to do, I think of who I am as a person and do what I feel is the best for me . : )

LeStephane said...

The right thing to do is not always easy. But before any decision is made, one must evaluate. I, myself would ask questions like how do I feel about this? Could it hurt anyone, including me? Is it fair? Would it violate the Golden rule? (How would I feel about it if it was done to me?) Has anyone else said it was wrong? How would I feel after the fact? What would the people I respect say about this? The vast majority of my ethics has been provided by my educators, not necessarily a professional teacher, but someone who taught me something. Sometimes experiences can become our greatest teachers. The greatest contributors are incontrovertibly my grandparents and local church. I learned that there is nothing wrong with making a bad choice based upon our morality providing we review our actions based upon our ethics and try to provide a solution. Doesn’t always work but my conscious can rest at ease. I think it’s important that God made us with the ability to choose wrong, because it provides us an experience to learn, to excel and if needed, be redeemed. This provides others an opportunity to show their quality. Being a good individual is not about finding resolves to all the faults we made based on our morality. It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more then abilities or transgressions. My morality is guided by my ethics. My ethics come from Christ, and the right thing to do, is what I judge to be right, the problem is, people have a different interpretation of what is the right things to do and our interpretation of what the right thing to do is may change. The right thing to do is never compromise your principles but never undermine anyone who challenges them. When someone challenges your principles use that challenge as an opportunity to test your principles, and learn from it.

Michael Teh Matys(Noobinator) said...

ethics are your choice as to what they are and what degree you follow them, morality just means your bending to the will of what society deems socially acceptable.