Friday, September 12, 2008

The Four Ethical Experiences

There are four ethical responses:
1) The Scream: when you hear someone scream we are often called to act. The scream startles us to act. The scream is an appeal , a call for help. It urges not to think but to act.
2) The Other: When we confront someone eye to eye, it reminds us of our deeper commitment and responsiblity for the "other". For example; when we meet a beggar, it challenges us to help. We may choose to ignore the other and justify our actions to dismiss this person. Irregardless, the face of the "other' compells us to question. It draws us into an ethical dilemma, one that we are unable to ignore.
3) Obligation: This experience arises from duty or obligation. For example; if our parents tell us to be home by 11:00, we are obliged to obey the curfew. Obeying this curfew appeals to our ethical side. We are compelled to obey the curfew and follow that law. It is the 'right' thing to do.
4) Intolerable!! This is not fair!!!! This ethical experience occurs when you witness a blatant act of injustice. You are called to act!!!

Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.
Buddha:

3 comments:

brittaney said...

" The Other "

I used to take the city bus to school and it would pass through downtown and there was always this homeless man who looked really sad and cold because then it was cold out. (Last november) You would always think bums beg for money, but he never once asked me for money. It was freezing out and I bought him Tim Hortons. I felt horrible for him and after befriending him and being bestfriends I felt a alot better of the person I am.

LeStephane said...

I have had the same experience as Brittany has mentioned, however the situation was a little different. as i walked by he just opened the door for me at a Tim Hortins in Toronto. i was just shocked at how kind he seemed, but i think it was the general appearance of his eyes that truly reflected his life's hardship. He must have been no older then me now that i think about it. So I bought him a coffee and a sandwich with a donut. However I became aware of this Torontonian norm of the homelessness and found myself not even thinking much about it. I’m disappointed in myself that I have allowed such a social atrocity to become a norm, in my mind. I can’t pretend that one good deed can counter one terrible deed. Perhaps I have much to learn still.

Michael Teh Matys(Noobinator) said...

I think these experiences only exist for those who for starters choose to have the standard guideline of what ethics you should have rather than your own. Maybe for most, but not for some.